Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Nothing Gold Can Stay



Is it a bad thing that I vividly remember all the bad things in life? That I can't remember the last time that I was truly happy, without someone screwing up that moment? I remember the fights. The screaming. The crying. The times when I felt all alone in the world, and there was no one to talk to.  I thought my thoughts couldn't be shared because no one could ever understand what I've been through and understand me.

The reason I enjoyed the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" was because it hit close to home with me. The last couple of years I've been through a lot in my life, with my family and friends. This poem talks about how good things only stay for a short time and that they also don't come that often. Frost makes a few analogies that all go with the theme of nature, which was made perfectly. One thing I really enjoyed about this poem was that I understood it. Usually I can never understand poems truly. I may get the basic thought down, but that's not what the author was trying to convey. What they usually go for is a deeper thought that makes you think more, and isn't too obvious to find. Frost nailed this poem and kept it very simple, with little words, and to the point. That nothing good can last forever, also that Nothing Gold Can Stay.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you go right to application with the poem. At the same time, I would like to see more use of actual citations from the poem itself and make connections to those individual parts. Also, you are neglecting to write an author's note again, which sacrifices the opportunity to demonstrate your level of understanding, and self-awareness. Don't take those things for granted. You may be able to mention a lot of those concepts you understand without detracting from the sort of writing you are trying to accomplish here. See me if that doesn't make sense, as always.

    ReplyDelete